Hairstyling, popularly known as hair dressing is an art or skill that involves the arrangement of the hair in a fashionable, attractive, neat and desirable way.
As a “hair dresser” or “hair stylist” who wants to start a business, there are some basic equipments you need to acquire. These tools include combs (big, small and cutting comb), hair cream, brush, scissors, towel, shampoo and hair conditioner. Also, not all hair stylists own shops, it depends on how the individual wants it, you may own a shop or want to work as an hair stylist in another hair stylist shop.
As every business has it’s ethics, so also is the art of hair dressing. There are some basic principles you need to know.
- It is a very creative business as long as you know what you are best at. When you’ve discovered it, you are good at a particular hairstylesl, develop yourself.
- You must be very current and up to date. This is because new styles are created everyday, when you see new styles you should learn them too.
- A hair dresser must be neat in dressing, tools and environment. This is because neatness actually draws customers to you.
- You must have a healthy relationship with people. How you relate with customers matter, as they say first impression last longer, so you need to have a good way of relating with people.
- Try to make your customers lively while making their hair.
You must know the demand and flair of the environment you want to locate your shop and look at the specialization of the people to be sure it would actually help the hairstyles you’re into.
Determining the price for each hair you make is best made through the environment you find yourself and the personalities you have as customers. You can’t be in a village and make hair for people at a very expensive rate because you won’t make sales. As such, you need to have a proper monitoring of the area you are before you charge your customers.
Challenges of a “hair stylist”
In old times, there was a stigma with hair dressers that made people think all hair dressers were prostitute. It’s now left for you as a person to know how this statement won’t affect you. Some people still have this belief till date, which is one reason why some males exploit ladies in this kind of business. As such, it’s left for you to make people know you aren’t in that category.
Rome, they say, wasn’t bulit in a day. When you’ve gotten a good place to locate your shop, the next challenge you face is how to get customers. For this, you need to be very hard working and diligent in all styles you make so that if someone else sees the hair and appreciate it, the person look for means to locate and come to you to make her hair and the cycle continues.