The NEF invites applications for the 2020 Africa Energy Ideas Competition that is set to accelerate the development of early-stage energy firms across Africa.
About the Award: The 5th Africa Energy Innovation Challenge is set to advance the sustainability of early-stage energy firms across Africa. The aim is to develop clean, innovative and bankable energy services for households and businesses, based on low-carbon technologies.
This competition challenges early-stage energy entrepreneurs from Africa to collaborate with local research institutions or industries to develop a prototype model of a key device/equipment for a social energy enterprise or energy management system using local resources.
- Young professionals between the ages of 18 and 35 years from Africa are invited to participate in the competition and nominate a relevant local research institution or organization.
- Applications may be submitted by a team of up to three people. At least 1 member of the team must be from the local research institution or industry.
- Teams may be formed across different schools, institutions, companies, countries etc. Individuals or teams may submit multiple applications.
- Deadline for proposal submission: 30th January, 2020
- Announcement of submissions selected for the final round: 14th February, 2020
- Deadline for final submissions:28th February, 2020
- Announcement of winners: 1st April, 2020.
How to Apply: Your proposed prototype model submission must not exceed 1-side of an A4 page and should include the following:
- Project Title
- Your solution (250 words)
- Partner Institution or Industry
- Expected impact (50 words)
- Short abstract (50 words)
- Design tools and method (50 words)
- Problem Statement (50 words)
Estimated costs and timeline (50 words)
- Submissions must be in Microsoft Word or PDF format by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The subject line of the email should follow the format: [Country] Title of the Project.
- Submissions that exceed the word count may be disqualified.
- Shortlisted submissions would be invited to participate in the final round by submitting a 1-page poster to summarize their design, with a detailed budget, 2-page Design Brief, and a Short 2-minute video to describe a prototype model of the proposed solution.