APPLY: CITI 2020 Youth in Business Programme for young South Africans
Application Deadline: December 20th 2019
Join the 2020 Youth in Business Programme to boost your business!
Aimed at business-savvy youth within Khayelitsha, Mitchells Plain, Mfuleni and surrounding areas, this new programme aims to create an enabling environment for the young people to gain an in-depth, hands-on learning experience of the tech tools available to aid in the growth and development of their business.
This programme will equip these young people with the skills necessary to improve and grow their businesses to become economically sustainable.
Training will be hosted at the Bandwidth Barn Khayelitsha (Lookout Hill), and the Youth in Business programme will consist of the following:
- 10 weekly sessions – 1 x 2 – 3 hours session a week at the Bandwidth Barn Khayelitsha. As part of the programme, the youth are introduced to an extensive, tailored range of powerful online and digital programmes and platforms to support their business activities. The areas covered include admin, finance & accounting & tax, e-commerce plugins, graphic design, document management, digital marketing & social media, HR & personality profiling, project management & project communication, legal advice, payments & banking apps.
- An online programme that will run for 10 months to help you improve your entrepreneurial skills and build your business.
- Networking opportunities with other businesses, industry experts and coaches to assist you in growing your business.
- Invitations to ecosystem events and networking opportunities.
As from January 2020, we plan to train 3 cohorts of youth-owned businesses, with each cohort hosting 35 participants.
Benefits of the programme
Most of the modules are conducted by knowledgeable facilitators who have years of experience and have implemented these tools in their businesses creating a space where interactions are both practical and educational.
As a result, these young entrepreneurs will benefit from a network of highly skilled facilitators and mentors with real experience. The programme allows them to become successful entrepreneurs by providing them with a platform to implement efficient systems and processes through the effective usage of tech products and services that enable growth, sustainability and the room to scale. Growth in their businesses holds the possibility of not only assisting in their revenue generation capacity but also enabling in the creation of job opportunities for others in their communities.
Each participant will also benefit from CiTi’s ecosystem events and will have connectivity and access to a co-working space as well as the lab at Khayelitsha Bandwidth Barn.
The programme is fully funded by the Department of Economic Development and Tourism and there is no cost to participate.
To qualify for the Youth in Business programme, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Entrepreneurs must be aged between 18 and 35
- Business must be 100% Black youth-owned
- Business must be operational (not in ideation phase)
- Entrepreneurs must reside in the following locations: Khayelitsha, Mitchells Plain, Mfuleni, Philippi and Langa, Delft, Eeste river, Macasssar and surrounding areas
- Must have a desire to learn and introduce technology into their business
- Must commit to the full YIB Programme (2-hour weekly training over 10 weeks, followed by 10-month online course).
How to apply
Young entrepreneurs who would like to take part in the Youth in Business programme must submit their applications on the Cape Innovation & Technology Initiative’s website www.citi.org.za or like and follow the Khayelitsha Bandwidth Barn Facebook page for news and updates. After your application is received, you will be invited to a telephonic or/and an in-person interview, which will determine if you are selected to take part in the programme.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the CITI 2020 Youth in Business Programme