Apply: 2018 Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation in Sub-Saharan Africa
The Africa Prize encourages ambitious and talented sub-saharan African engineers from various disciplines to apply their skills to develop scalable solutions to solve local challenges in sub Saharan Africa.
- Applicants must be individuals or small groups.
- Individual applicants must be citizens of a country within sub-Saharan Africa.
- For teams of two or more, the lead applicant must be a citizen of a country within sub-Saharan Africa.
- The innovation must be based in a country in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Applicants must have an engineering innovation, though they are not required to be an engineering graduate or student.
- Applicants must provide a letter of support from a university or research institution, this can be as simple as stating an individual studied at that institution. If applicants are not affiliated with any institution, other document proving the status of your organisation or innovation, such as a document of incorporation, can be used.
- Industrial researchers and establishments are not eligible.
- The lead applicant must be over the age of 18.
- The applicant’s innovation can be any new product, technology or service, encompass a wide range of fields, including: agricultural technology, biotechnology, chemical engineering, civil engineering, computer science, design engineering, electrical and electronic engineering, ICT, material science, mechanical engineering and medical engineering.
- Applicants should have achieved the development of, and be in the early stages of commercialising an engineering innovation that:
– Will bring social and/or environmental benefits to a country/countries in sub-Saharan Africa.
– Has strong potential to be replicated and scaled up.
– Is accompanied by an ambitious but realistic business plan which has strong commercial viability.
- Following a period of mentorship, finalists will be invited to present at an event held in Africa and a winner is selected to receive £25,000 along with runners-up, will each awarded £10,000.
- Commercialisation support will be given to a shortlist of innovative applicants through a six-month period of training and mentoring.
Interested? Click here to apply
Application Deadline: 23 July, 2018.